Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Contrastive Dialogue/Reader's Theater

This is a character education Reader's Theater that my students acted out. They complained and several of them asked, "Why do we always have to talk 'white' when we act out these scripts?" I allowed them to work collaboratively to rewrite the script in their home langauage. Later, we seminared the two pieces and discussed the differences.

Script #1 (SE)

Narrator: It was just after dark and Johnny sat down at the table and began eating dinner with his family.

Johnny: What is that noise? It is so irritating!

Mother: Oh Johnny, it is not that bad.

Johnny: It most certainly is! I am going outside to see what it is.

Mother: Well, do be careful. It is dark out.

Narrator: Johnny walked outside of the house and stood on the lawn. He noticed some young men setting off bottle rockets in the street.

Johnny: Excuse me, but do you guys mind? It is getting late and folks are trying to get settled in for the evening.

Boy #1: We do as we please. Mind your own business!

Johnny: Listen here. I do not wish to have a confrontation with you. Now stop shooting those bottle rockets or I will be forced to call the police.

Boy #2: You are just jealous because we are out here having fun while you have to stay inside with your family. Do not take it out on us because you have such a boring life.

Johnny: I can assure you that that is not the case here. I simply wish to have a peaceful dinner.



Script #2 (AAVE)

Narrator: It was getting dark and Lil John was chillin at the table, getting his grub on with his peeps.


Lil John: What’s up with that noise? That junk be drivin me crazy!

Moma: Chill out John. It ain’t that bad.

Lil John: Check this out. I’m fixin to go see what’s poppin outside.

Moma: Now you listen to me for real John. You know the hood ain’t no joke at night. You watch your back now, hear?

Narrator: Lil John walked outside to get the 411 on the situation.

Lil John: Yo man, what’s up with all that noise? Can’t ya’ll see folks be tryin to sleep and stuff?

Thug #1: This here’s our hood. You best just step off fool! You ain’t want none of this.

Lil John: I hear ya. Look, I ain’t tryin to have no drama or nothing. Let’s not get the
po-po involved. Just chill with the bottle rockets, ok?

Thug #2: Yo man, hate the game not the players! Don’t be getting all up in our Kool-Aid just cause you’s a sucker at home witch yo moma on a Friday night.

Lil John: Naw man, you got me messed up. It ain’t even like that. I just want to kick it in peace at the crib with my peeps.

No comments: