Monday, February 15, 2010

Listening and Speaking During Seminar

One goal of seminars is to understand the ideas and thoughts of others through asking questions and listening to answers. This means that seminar participants must practice how to agree and disagree. Participants must be able to disagree without being disagreeable. In order to do so, the participants can use the following suggested ways of responding as a way of framing their thoughts before they speak. Speaking and responding in a calm, collaborative manner is essential to good discussion and dialogue.

1.I agree with__________ because, but I want to add another reason why I think _________ is true. (Give another reason.)
2.I disagree with __________ because . . .
3.I'm not sure why ___________ said . . . Can you reword your comments to help me understand?
4.I understand your point, __________, but I want to add/disagree/give another side . . .
5.This is what I think you are saying. . . Is that correct?

No comments: